Friday, October 30, 2015

Chapter 7: Genetics and Cancer Treatments



     In the article "Genetics May Help Guide Kid's Cancer Treatment" on the U.S. News, the author finds that researchers and doctors claim that genetics may help guide and instruct the treatment course of children with cancer. It is stated in the article that a study on genetic sequencing has revealed potential findings on half of the children with aggressive cancer. These potential findings are critical because they are the answers to why their treatments are not working on them, and some of them may go through a new diagnosis because genetic mutations that cause their cancer to progress have been detected. As a result, 10% of these children have undergone new treatment, targeted therapy, and are introduced with new drugs. Some of them have temporarily fought the cancer and some of them have had a complete remission.  

    Treatments that are based on genetics findings are personalized because each patient has mutations that are different from another patient that have the same cancer. Researchers and scientists will do their best to find new treatments that hopefully may 100% cure cancers. Targeted cancer therapy and immunotherapy are examples of the newly developed treatments. In the article, it mentions that cancer cure rate has increased overtime. In 1960s, the cure rate of pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia was less than 10%. Today, the cure rate has increased to 90%.

     The article covered concerns that parents may have. The time, the result and the cost of undergoing these clinical trials are always the patient's family's main concerns. The author mentions that in the study,  91 pediatric cancer patients in Mott Children's Hospital are undergoing newly designed treatments. The study reports that around 46% of the children who have taken genetic tests have available treatments that target their mutations. However, the study hasn't reported the reasons why the rest couldn't receive treatments. Is it because targeted drugs are hard to develop or is it because the children's bodies are resistant to the drugs? The study mentions the cost of this clinical trail, and it is around $6,000 and it takes 50 days for each patient. The result of this study is, some of the children have partial remission and some have complete remission. The author also brings up an important point. Can children undergo targeted cancer therapy? Are these drugs, big pills, suitable for children? Is it safe for younger children to undergo these clinical trails? The study that is mentioned in this article unfortunately hasn't mentioned any of these concerns. 

Article Source:
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2015/09/01/genetics-may-help-guide-kids-cancer-treatment
Images Source: 
(1) http://32f7sg2by83y1dtg9mdxf11m.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Genetics.jpg
(2) https://d3f1iyfxxz8i1e.cloudfront.net/courses/course_image/7d90511e6193.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Wow very interesting Ghofran! It is very interesting how they are working so hard toward developing treatments for this type of cancer and how the cure rates have increased so drastically over the recent years. Hopefully they will continue to work this hard and eventually be able to cure this disease overall, although with everyone having different mutations and such it will be very difficult. The questions raised by the article are also very good questions and they definitely should be answered if they are to work toward these treatments being helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this chapter is very interesting. The advancement of technology and science is making hopes for cancer victims. It is very promising that we could once cure those type of diseases. It is very thoughtful of the author to address some of the family concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was fascinated to learn more about gene sequencing and it's possible applications in treating people with cancer. I also thought that the questions you raise are good ones and I can't wait to see where such research will lead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhod Minster is my name, I am really perplexed today, and I share this piece of good news with everyone reading. Brethren, I was diagnosed of shingles some months after I did a surgery, and I was having serious acute, painful inflammation of the nerve ganglia, with a skin eruption. It was very bad that my skin was gone, and I was almost giving up. The fact was I am very vulnerable because of my weak immune system. So this shingles really affected me. I was taking antiviral medicines after some time it got worst that I was diagnosed of post-herpetic neuralgia. And my doctor prescribed for me paracetamol and codeine which I was using but my condition was getting worst instead of getting better. Somehow, my grandson came home and said his girlfriend was cured of HSV by a herbal doctor whose name was given as Herbal Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. My grandson claimed that his girlfriend was cured by the said doctor with his herbal medicine, so he advised me to give this same herbal doctor a try. I remembered a word at that stage which says ‘there is no harm in trying’ so I decided to give this herbal doctor a try. My grandson help contacted him, and I spoke with him on the phone, and also explained to him in a message I sent to his email. So he assured me, and gave me a good hope that he will surely cure me of this ailment. So we concluded arrangement, and he prepared the herbal medicine, and shipped it to me. So I took it according to his directions. And the herbal mixture really worked for me. I was so surprise the way it worked for me, and in just two weeks, I was beginning to fully recover, and in just less than 2 months, I was fully recovered, and all my pains and inflammation are all gone. Brethren, today I am totally cured and I deem it fit to come here and let everyone know about my cure through the herbal process. Please if you are still suffering from this ailment contact the herbal doctor for your cure. His contact details are as follows Email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com), phone number (+2349052015874). Wish you all quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer. Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,Lupus,Endomertil Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete